In honor of the long holiday weekend coming up, we at Camperoo have compiled a list of the top five essential Memorial Day activities in Chicago. Peruse our list and let us know if you are planning on doing any of these things over the weekend! Also, use coupon code MEMORIALDAY on the Camperoo website now for $25 off anything on the site!
1. Memorial Day Parade, Saturday, May 24. www.cityofchicago.org. A city staple, and an event that everyone should witness at least once, this patriotic celebration kicks off at 11 am with a wreath ceremony and then winds its way downtown.
2. Navy Pier Fireworks, Saturday, May 24. www.nbcchicago.com. Navy Pier is the Chicago destination for spectacular, synchronized fireworks. All ages will love the display, and the best part is, the show runs twice weekly, all summer long.
3. Gaelic Park Irish Fest, Saturday, May 24 – 27. www.chicagogaelicpark.org. Families looking to experience a little culture while still keeping the kids entertained can revel in this celebration of Irish culture. With everything from Irish theatre performances to the “red hair and freckle face” contest, this might just be the most fun you have all summer.
4. Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives. May 24 – August 3. www.msichicago.org. Disney fans of all ages can explore nine decades of history and artifacts at this extensive exhibit, on display at the Museum of Science and Industry. Kids can see the costumes from films like “Pirates of the Caribbean,” and try their hand at recording sound effects.
5. Lincoln Park Zoo, May 24 – year round.. www.lpzoo.com. There are lots of new baby animals to visit at Lincoln Park Zoo, one of the last free-admission zoos in the country. And be sure to check out the Pritzker Family Children’s Zoo area, where kids can get up close and personal with red wolves and river otters.
Camperoo is an online marketplace that lists thousands of childrens activities all over the country, from summer camps to birthday parties, there is always lots going on. Join our newsletter now to stay in the loop!