Summer can be just as crazy busy as the school year, what with trying to plan activities for the whole family. We have narrowed the search a bit, and found five of the coolest things happening in Houston this month. Check them out and let us know if you plan to attend. And if you haven’t yet found that perfect summer camp, check out the brand new options just added to Camperoo this week: http://blog.camperoo.com/new-this-week-on-camperoo/
1. Moody Gardens Real Pirate Exhibit. June 7 – September 28. www.moodygardens.com/attractions
Organized by National Geographic, this touring exhibition showcases dozens of authentic pirate artifacts that were recovered from the world’s first authenticated pirate ship. Perfect for the whole family, and children 3 and under get in free.
2. School’s Out Summer Kickoff at Kemah Boardwalk. June 6 – 8. www.kemahboardwalk.com/events.asp#5
Kids can celebrate the start of summer with live bands, special promotions on rides, and family activities all weekend long.
3. IKEA Houston Screen on the Green: “Ghostbusters.” June 14. www.discoverygreen.com/1033594
This free film is shown on a huge screen in the shadow of Houston’s skyline. Families that get there an hour before showtime can participate in contests and games, and people are encouraged to bring their own blankets, lawn chairs and picnic supplies.
4. Pippi Longstocking at Main St. Theater. June 8 – August 3. www.mainstreettheater.com
This longtime family favorite is coming to Main Street Theater for the summer! Musical and hilarious, children of all ages can appreciate the antics of this famous redhead.
5. Guided Bird Walk at Resaca de la Palma State Park. June 7 – 28. www.tpwd.state.tx.us/calendar/bird-walk-3
Kids 12 and under are free on this morning walk through the nature preserve. Children will learn to identify different birds by their calls, and how to start birdwatching.
For a complete list of kids camps and activities, go to www.camperoo.com. Make sure to sign up for our newsletter as well, for advance notice of sales and specials.